The Parker Youth & Sports Foundation is dedicated to the support and preservation of parks, sports facilities and athletic programs in the greater Yakima area.
The 11th annual fundraiser, Sports Legends Reunion and High Hopes Tournament, will be held June 10th and 11th.
The Sports Legends Reunion will be hosted at the Howard Johnson Plaza of Yakima on E. Yakima and 9th Street. The night features Honored Guest, Pete Orgill, who will be recognized post-humously with family members in attendance. Pete was a long-time Health educator and baseball coach at AS. C. Davis High School. He also taught CPR to thousands throughout the valley.
Lane Phillips will serve as the High Hopes Tournament Honorary Chairmen at Saturday’s High Hopes. Lane played baseball at YVCC before signing with the Yankees. Lane returned to YVC where he would be a member of the coaching staff.
- Provide, preserve and support parks, public sports and recreation facilities and youth sports programs.
- Preserve the legacies of Shirley D. Parker and Rose B. Larson in safeguarding Parker Field and Larson Park for the parks and recreation purposes intended by those donors
- Award scholarships to Yakima Valley Community College student-athletes and grants to individuals and organizations contributing to the best interests of YVCC athletic facilities and programs.
- Promote the history and heritage of sports in the greater Yakima area.
- Provide education on the lifelong value of sports and physical activity and the need for parks and recreation facilities to encourage and enhance these activities
Activities & Interests
- Grants to local non-profit entities involved or interested in recreational or sports programs or facilities.
- Cooperative agreements with government agencies to help with parks or playing fields.
- Acquisition of land for sports or recreational use.
- Financial support for youth sports leagues, teams or events.
- Collection and preservation of local sports memorabilia.
"High Hopes" is an original creation by award-winning Yakima artist Don Crook. Commissioned by the Foundation to create a scene representing our mission, Don used old photographs of the original Parker Field and his own memories in his depiction of the grandstands, press box and lights while incorporating youth and their dreams to further convey the purpose of the Foundation. An alumnus of Yakima High School and Yakima Junior
College, he played football and baseball in the original Parker Field.